e-Voting is the casting of votes electronically, typically via the internet. e-Voting has the potential to make voting more convenient and accessible, but it also raises concerns about security and reliability. This eliminate paper in the voting process which involves sending of notices and ballot papers and receiving the said ballot votes. (Source: https://www.evotingindia.com/)
One way to improve the security of e-Voting is to use a one-time password (OTP) verification system. OTP verification is a two-factor authentication method that requires users to enter a unique code that is sent to their mobile phone in addition to their username and password. This makes it much more difficult for unauthorized users to cast votes.
A mobile application can be used to implement an SMS OTP verification system for e-Voting. The application would allow users to register for e-Voting, cast votes, and view their voting history. The application would also send OTP codes to users’ mobile phones whenever they need to authenticate themselves.
The following are the steps involved in implementing an SMS OTP verification system for e-Voting using a mobile application:
- The user registers for e-Voting by providing their name, email address, and mobile phone number.
- The application sends an OTP code to the user’s mobile phone.
- The user enters the OTP code into the application.
- The application verifies the OTP code and registers the user for e-Voting.
When the user casts a vote, the application sends another OTP code to their mobile phone. The user enters the OTP code into the application to authenticate themselves and cast their vote.
The following are the benefits of using an SMS OTP verification system for e-Voting:
- Increased security: OTP verification makes it much more difficult for unauthorized users to cast votes.
- Improved convenience: Users can cast votes from their mobile phones, which makes voting more convenient.
- Increased accessibility: Users who do not have access to the internet can still cast votes using SMS OTP verification.
The following are the challenges of using an SMS OTP verification system for e-Voting:
- Cost: SMS OTP verification can be expensive, especially if a large number of users are voting.
- Reliability: SMS OTP verification relies on the SMS network, which can be unreliable in some areas.
- Spam: Users may receive spam SMS messages containing OTP codes.
Overall, SMS OTP verification is a secure and convenient way to authenticate users for e-Voting. However, there are some challenges that need to be addressed before SMS OTP verification can be widely adopted for e-Voting.
Here are some additional considerations for implementing an SMS OTP verification system for e-Voting:
- The type of mobile phone that users have. Some mobile phones do not support SMS, so the application would need to be able to send OTP codes via another channel, such as email.
- The cost of SMS messages. The cost of SMS messages can vary depending on the country and the mobile phone carrier.
- The reliability of the SMS network. The SMS network can be unreliable in some areas, so the application should have a backup plan in case SMS messages are not delivered.
- The risk of spam. Users may receive spam SMS messages containing OTP codes. The application should have a way to report spam SMS messages so that they can be blocked.
Future trends in SMS OTP verification for e-Voting
As e-Voting becomes more popular, there is a growing demand for more secure and convenient authentication methods. SMS OTP verification is a promising technology that can help to address these challenges. In the future, we can expect to see SMS OTP verification being used in conjunction with other authentication methods, such as facial recognition and fingerprint scanning, to create a more secure and seamless e-Voting experience.
SMS OTP verification is a secure and convenient way to authenticate users for e-Voting. However, there are some challenges that need to be addressed before SMS OTP verification can be widely adopted for e-Voting. By carefully considering these challenges, developers can create an SMS OTP verification system that is secure, convenient, and reliable.
Featured image source: https://right2vote.in/mobile-voting/