The Department of Biotechnology established in the year 2002 with a commitment to deliver a broad spectrum of graduates through programmes such as B.Tech., M.Tech and PhD under Anna University, Chennai. B.Tech Biotechnology programme is accredited by National Board of accreditation for 6 years in Tier I Washington Accord. The Department is having well qualified faculty members with expertise in different disciplines like Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Immunology, Bioprocess Engineering, Plant and Animal biotechnology etc. Department has state of art laboratories to teach and conduct research in multifarious areas of Microbial Biotechnology, Enzyme Engineering, Bioenergy, Computational Biology, Biomaterials, Nano biotechnology and Bioprocesses. We had organized many seminars, staff/faculty/entrepreneur development programs and workshops sponsored by various agencies viz., AICTE, DRDO, DST, UGC, CSIR and TNSCST. Department has been funded with approx. 5 crores, sponsored by AICTE, DRDO, DST, SERB, DBT, and TNSCST and spearheads a Technology Business Incubator (BIT-TBI), a joint venture of GoI and BIT to encourage young entrepreneurs to convert their novel ideas into commercial products. Being a recognized research center by Anna University-Chennai, currently, 15 Scholars are pursuing doctoral studies in various emerging research areas. With high-end research, department possesses 2 granted patents, 23 published patents, 40 filed patents and 403 peer-reviewed research publications in SCOPUS and WOS-indexed journals. The department follows biosafety regulations proposed by Institutional Biosafety Committee and is also a recognized research center under AICTE-Quality Improvement Programme. By providing quality training initiatives, the students are getting placed in their core companies like Syngene International, Zifo R&D solutions, Biozeen, Genomatics, Hexagon Nutrition, OG Healthcare, CHC Healthcare.
To offer world-class education, by providing Academic and Professional competence in tune with technological and societal aspirations.
- To provide a state-of-art infrastructure for a professional environment through standard academic practices, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities in-line with national and international paradigms.
- To facilitate a platform for student and faculty members towards qualitative interdisciplinary research for developing sustainable circular bioeconomy.
- To establish collaborations with biotech ventures and research institutes to inculcate professional and leadership qualities for students career advancements and Faculty competency enhancement.
- To maintain high standards of teaching through innovative pedagogy for enabling students to be lifelong learners and globally competent professionals.
- To foster creativity through innovation-based research activities for upliftment of self and society promoting socio-economic growth.
- To inculcate professional ethics and skills amongst the graduates and empowering them to have career advancement through placements, higher studies, and entrepreneurs.